Tractor Building

Madrid's St. Lawrence Power and Equipment Museum gets new building to store antique tractors.

From North Country Now 8/8/14

MADRID -- The St. Lawrence Power and Equipment Museumís antique tractor collection will have a home of its own soon thanks to nearly $55,000 in fundraising efforts. In 2013, Reggie Chester, the Museumís Vice President, along with other Museum members, began to realize the need for a display building and restoration shop, which would provide a central location at 1755 State Highway 345 for the many vintage tractors that belong to the Museum, according to Museum officials. Chester, along with the Tractor Building Committee, including Wayne Hill, Don Lustyik, Ken Tupper, Wayne Stark and Leon Cline saw the dream become a reality in the fall of 2013. With the help of supporters, the creation of a multi-use building has begun to house the Museumís antique tractor collection, while also providing additional space for a repair shop and an area for demonstrations during the Museumís two yearly exhibitions.

[IMAGE]

Fundraising efforts included a goal of $70,000. To date, Museum officials say they have raised $55,000 which allowed the start of construction. Gifts of labor and supplies included a truckload of 14-foot long logs donated by Pat Curran of Seaway Timber Harvesting. Jim Mitchell used his homemade sawmill to produce 8,000 board feet of lumber to create siding for the building. RSI Roofing of Gouverneur provided 6,000 square feet of commercial grade standing seam roofing and labor for the installation of the roof. Burns Construction of Madrid were contracted to frame in the building.

Museum representatives say they hope to have the tractor building up and enclosed before next winter and are looking forward to a permanent home for its resident antique tractors.