Grace Hargrave - December 2010
The Walker Farm Granary
John Hall purchased 50 acres of land from Thomas Ogden on May 11, 1831.
On October 28, 1837, he purchased 49 acres from Thomas L. Ogden. The last of three parcels was 49.87 acres purchased on April 30, 1847 from the estate of Joshua Waddington that would comprise the 150 acre farm now known as the Thomas Walker farm.
Charles Wheater purchased the land in 1918 from Edith Hall, partner of Tenant and Hall Grist Mill, formerly on the left at the village side of the Grass River bridge.
January 1, 1920, Thomas Walker, his wife Jennie, son Lloyd and daughter Irene moved from the Walker home (now Keith Caswells) to the Hall farm.
The granary was formerly situated on house side of road back of where garage now stands. At some point, it was moved across the road to location next to main barn.
In the fall- the threshing crew came and threshed out the oats. The threshing machine was set up so the straw was blown up into straw mow of barn. The oats were collected in bags – then carried by hand into granary and dumped into bins that lined on side of building or bags of grain were carried up stairs and dumped in bins up there. I can remember split cedar rails being stuck in bins to help draw moisture out.
Lloyd married Mary Fields and came to live with his parents. Two children were born to Lloyd and Mary – Grace Walker Hargrave and George Walker.
Mary died in 1953 and Lloyd married Laura Partridge Fields in 1955. Lloyd and George moved to Lisbon at that time. They continued to farm until the mid 1960’s when there was an auction and farm machinery and tools were sold.
Jennie died October 14, 1972, followed by Tommie on October 28, 1972 on what would have been their 69th wedding anniversary.
Irene had been care taker for her parents in their declining years. She continued to live in the house until August, 2003 when she entered a nursing home. Irene died December 22, 2003 at the age of 94.
Jim and Grace Hargrave had purchased Lloyd’s share of the farm after Tommie and Jennie died and had cropped it several years. Upon Irene’s death, the rest of the farm and the house became theirs.
In February, 2006, they deeded the house to the Madrid Historical Society, now known as the Walker House Museum.
There are many more stories that can be related to the farm, but will close at this, giving some history of the farm and granary.
Grace W. Hargrave