The property consists of 115 acres. The barn is 30 x 70feet in area. A milking parlor with hay mow above is on one end, and a haymow and stable are on the other. The barn is estimated to be over 100 years old. New concrete sills were installed in the late 90s. Complete property includes: The Farm House, Barn, Privy, Milk/Pump House, Granary, and Chicken House.
MUSEUM PURCHASES GOOLDEN- MANN FARM
By Roger Austin. From the Sept-Oct 2006 newsletter.
On Friday, August 11, 2006, the ST. Lawrence Power & Equipment Museum formally acquired the Goolden-Mann farm in Madrid, NY for its new home. Acquisition of the property was made possible through the generosity of Leon L. and Carole H. Goolden of Colton, NY. Appraised at $218,500, the property was purchased for only $100,000 with the Gooldens donating the balance.
The cash portion of the transaction was made possible by the many individuals and groups who contributed to the Museum’s Site Development Fund. Though the goal of $120,000 for 2006 has not been reached, sufficient funds had been received to make the purchase possible at this early date. Reaching the goal remains essential if we are to begin development of the site this year.
The search for a home began even before the Museum received its provisional charter in April of 2004. Fundraising began in 2005. By the end of that year, the search had been narrowed to two sites, and over $30,000 had been raised. At their annual meeting in January 2006, Museum members selected the Goolden-Mann farm as their final choice.
In his address to those at the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony, Leon Goolden discussed how he became aware of the Museum’s need and how well suited he felt his farm was to meet it. He reminisced about his days there as a grandson to the original owner, Fay G. Mann who bought the farm 70 years ago in 1936. His sister, Fay Cambridge, and his brother Chuck and he enjoyed visiting and caring for the Shetland pony and getting fresh milk there each day.
Goolden’s parents, Leon L. and Emma Mann Goolden purchased the farm in 1947 after his grandfather’s death. Ten years later, he and Carole began married life in a trailer next to the house. And a few years later, brother Chuck and wife Linda began theirs in the farmhouse.
The Gooldens purchased the farm in 1971 after his father died. Since then, the fields have seen continuous cultivation and improvement. Much of the fields were tiled while the David Fisher family removed stones and smoothed fields. The Steve McKnight family is currently raising corn, alfalfa, and hay on the property.
The Gooldens share the Museum’s vision of the farm being a place for preserving of the region’s rural heritage and for education. In appreciation of their generosity, the Museum will establish a memorial plaque to recognize the donors and the farm’s family heritage.
Farmhouse Gets A Facelift (And New Knees!)
Summer 2015 – It was not long ago that the Goolden Mann Farmhouse enjoyed a new coat of paint. But old construction and materials, North Country weather, and paint that no longer puts oil back into the wood conspire to cause it to peel and expose it to rot and decay. You may have also noted that the rear shed room also has a distinct list toward the back corner. For the last several weeks, Don Lustyik has led a crew including Reg Chester, Joe Finnegan, Taylor Grant, Bob Smith, and Bob Tracy. Barb Lustyik and Shirley Dickinson also helped. At this writing, the exterior work is nearly completed. The shed has been stabilized, and the floor will be leveled. The old siding has been removed, and rotted window sills and boards have been replaced. The entire building has been covered with house wrap. It is now clad with white vinyl siding with some of the trim covered with white metal. The roof was replaced a couple years ago. When completed, maintenance concerns should be greatly reduced. Hats off to the crew!
Additional Photos Of The Farmhouse & Features
Historic Timeline of the Goolden-Mann Farmhouse
?-1855 – Owned By Alfred and Caroline Cross
1855-1862 – Owned By Willard and Julia Lockwood
Mar – Apr 1862 – Owned By Charles and Rhoda Gillett
1862 – 1871 – Owned By Willard and Julia Lockwood
1871 – Owned By Sands and Cynthia Helms
1871 – 1877 – Owned By George and Julian Bullard
1877 – 1892 – Owned By Laura Clark
1892 – 1920 – Owned By Charles Clark and Family
1920 – Owned By Frank Myers
1920 – 1936 Certain parcels of the property were allotted and leased out to various individuals and groups, including Standard Oil (where the corner gas station was located).
1936 – Frank Myers died and the property went to wife Eva, Myers, nephews William King and Fay King, niece, Hazel Watson.
1936 – Eva Myers sold the property to Fay G. Mann and wife Maude
1942 – Corner Gas Station plot to Harold Hindsdale
1949 – Owned By Leon and Emma Goolden
1971 – Owned By Leon Goolden, Jr.
2002 – Owned By Leon Goolden Trust
2006 – Owned By St Lawrence Power and Equipment Museum
8/26/09 – Mike Livingston called to report that Duane Curtis has offered us the windmill on the family farm on State Hwy 68 (Canton-Ogdensburg road) west of Woodbridge Corners (intersection with Cty. Rt. 14) near Tracy Road. Mike says that during the past year or more, he and Bob Marshall had talked with Curtis about donating it to the Museum. Now he would like to do so with the stipulation that a plaque is provided stating that the gift is in memory of Ellis Curtis, his father.
10/13/09 – Windmill Retrieval
On Thursday, the windmill project started at 4 pm. The tower was on the ground at the Museum by 6: 15! A great job was done by Bobby Dalton with assistance from David LaPage, and Jim McGraw with his trailer. The boom truck was donated by Bill Tiernan of K-T Power of Waddington, which made the ticklish project easy. The windmill was on the Hwy. Rt. 68 right of way with power lines nearby. However, the boom operator handled it all with ease.
4/28/11 – Water Tank Delivered (reported by Chuck Goolden)
A tank was delivered today, for the storage of water for the windmill to pump, compliments of Witherbee & Whalen of Canton. Roddy Burns and his crew dug the hole for the tank and placed it. Bob Dalton has refurbished the head of the windmill and has been instrumental in making other repairs.
6/4/11 – The Windmill is up for the spring exhibition and looks like it was always there! What a nice addition to the Museum property. Bob Dalton restored the Areomotor head unit. The windmill was donated by the family of Ellis Curtis in his honor and the project has been overseen by Bob Marshall. A tank was delivered for the storage of water for the windmill to pump, compliments of Witherbee & Whalen of Canton. Roddy Burns and his crew dug the hole and placed it.