Vertical Sawmill Building Plans
Vertical Sawmill Building Construction, Nov 12, 2012 to present
Vertical Sawmill: Paul Moore, Ken Tupper and Reg Chester have begun work on a new building to house the vertical sawmill. It will be located next to the Lane Sawmill building on the Hwy 345 side. To figure out how much room would be required, they dragged out the sawmill frame and reassembled it just for measurements. The building will be 20 x 46, post and beam construction, with a shingle roof. Paul reported pouring 10 cubic yards of concrete to form a foundation to hold the saw in place. The site has been filled with soil and sand, graded and graveled.
DECEMBER 2012 …
Before snow and bitter cold sealed the Museum for winter, Paul Moore broke ground on a second sawmill building that will house a ca. 1940 lateral frame saw manufactured in Switzerland. It had been donated to the St. Lawrence Gas & Steam Engine Association and became part of the Museum’s collection, after its founding in 2004. The saw was donated by Hans and Ida Loretz of Brasher Falls who winter at their home in Liechtenstein. Ida was at the Exhibition last fall and was excited to hear of the pending construction. Hans bought the saw in 1974. He had it shipped to Montreal and trucked to his farm at Brasher Falls. He used it to saw lumber to construct his barn and other buildings. The saw was originally restored by the Museum’s first President, Ross Goodyear, and used during shows at the Hutchinson farm. It was determined that the saw needed a permanent foundation and has been idle since. Reg Chester, Wayne Hill, and Ken Tupper helped Paul with excavation and pouring concrete for the foundations.
LATERAL FRAME SAW
Ca. 1940, Built by Gebr. Muller (Holmag AG) in Sumiswald, Switzerland
The saw was donated to the St. Lawrence Gas and Steam Engine Association by Hans and Ida Loretz of Brasher Falls, NY and Triesen, Liechtenstein. It became part of the collection of the St. Lawrence Power and Equipment Museum, the successor organization to the Association, in 2004. The saw had been purchased by Hans Loretz in 1982 from a mill that had shut down in 1973 in Liechtenstein. It was shipped by ocean freight to Montreal, Quebec and then trucked to Brasher Falls in 1983. Restored by Ross Goodyear.